Patterned, Textured or Obscure Glass can provide privacy and style throughout the home.
There are Five levels of privacy available:
- L1 – little or no privacy, used purely for decorative backing purposes
- L5 – giving maximum privacy, though retaining the ability to let in light
Technical Information: However you use glass it is essential for safety and performance reasons that it is correctly specified and installed. Common areas of impact risk, where it is recommended that impact safety glass to BS 6206 is installed, include: Glazed doors, Glazing adjacent to doors, Low level glazing, Bathroom areas, Protective barriers, Furniture and cabinets.
Toughened Safety Glass
Building Regulations denote the types of glass that can be installed into windows, doors and other glazing locations. Here is a guide to help you understand where the correct safety glass must be installed.
To comply with the Building Regulations Glazing Requirements ‘Critical Locations’ – safety glass or safety guards must be used to protect people from injury. The general locations for accidents caused by glass breakage, which could result in cutting and piercing injuries are in doors (mainly french or patio doors), door side panels, low windows and glass partitions.
Toughened Safety glass should be fitted in all doors, windows or glazed areas that are lower than 800mm from floor level.
Safety Critical Locations are generaly considered to be:
- Glazed Doors – Glass which is wholly or partially within 1500mm from floor level. As the drawing below shows, any glass in doors that does not start over 1500mm from the floor must be safety glass.
- Glazed areas adjacent to Doors – Windows/Side Lights, wholly or partially within 300mm of the edge of a door and which is also wholly or partially within 1500mm from floor level must be safety glass.
- Low Level Glazed Areas – Not covered in (1) OR (2) above – Other glazing that is wholly or partially within 800mm from floor level. This means that windows that are not located within 300mm of a door must use safety glass if the bottom of the glazing is within 800mm of the floor level.
The shaded areas in the images below, denote places where there is the need for Toughened Safety Glass to be used.